Shared ramblings/ findings

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ARE INDONESIANS BUCH OF BULLIES?

I was watching American’s next top model (ANTM)cycle 15, one of the episode is about Teen bullying, the girls were asked about their bully word, and their power word. Mr.Jay’s bully word was a band geek, and his power word is creative genius. One of the girls cries when she has to face her bully word, which is Queer, and her power word is Free



Then, I was thinking of my bully word, hehe I just realized that there are too many bully words
In primary school, there was this girl, she bullied me, and funny things what she did to me, and I’m doing it to other people (My friend thinks that I’m a bully)

• I pronounced “Magneto” from X-MAN “ Mangeto” . She laughed at me, called me stupid and tell everyone about my stupidity. (oh yeah.. she also called me a chicken, in literal meaning, my head bobs up and down ..)
I just realise that I love telling other people about someone’s stupidity, and laugh at them.

• I always have been a big girl, so my friend teased me about my weight. When I confront them, they told me that it’s the truth. Even though the name-calling destroy in my self-esteem, I felt I’m ugliest girl on earth, and no one is going to marry me, but it’s the truth, and if I can’t handle the truth, it means that I’m weak.

And I like to tell people about the truth that they don’t want to hear. I called many people weak, in my defense( tyring to justify my horrible action ) I was always trying to help, and motivate them to change.
And if you know me, many more…..

In Indonesia, the teen suicide rate due bullying is fairly lower than the west. WHY?

Maybe we’re a nation with tough mentality, we’re able to take jokes, or maybe we’re a nation that IGNORE our emotional problem.

Among other problems that most Indonesian endures this is mostly evolved around MONEY; the common goals /way of thinking are:

How am I going to put food on the table? Where am I going to live? Who’s going to look after my family? I hate my job, but I need the money.
Emotional problems have never been dealt with. They’re shoved aside; the more pressing concern is MONEY.

I asked my friend, what’s bullying in Indonesian?

Their answer s are
1. Bullying = Menyiksa
2. Ngata2in, semacem gencet
3. Penataran , plonco
4. Mencemooh, mengejek, mempermainkan (harus digabung jadi satu kalo gak tidak mengambarkan maksudnya )


My translation of Bullying to Indonesian is “tindakan yg menyakitkan hati ( “kakehane”, “nyerike”, “nylekit” ,”dapuran cangkem e kurang beres” kalo basa semarangnya :P )

We’re all DID it; we bullied our friends, siblings, family, or just random people on the street.
We hassle each other, it’s how we BOND.
To what point though?

I hide all my tears from her ( the bully in primary school) , I acted tough , if I cry I know that she would called me a ‘cry baby’ , so I just laughed with a smile on my face when she make fun of me ( which was constant, she was in after school study group) . I wonder Did she mean it as joke? Did she realise how much she was hurting me?

To my dear friends who might be victim to my bullying… I’m sorry .
But … the ANTM excersise help me to this realization.

So.. What’s your bully word? What’s your power word?


My bully words : big fat stupid wierdo . My power word is Unique



Side story :
After the primary school , we went to different junior high school, we went to the same high school though, we’re sort of in the same circle of friends, and I did stood up to her, by standing up I gave her own medicine, I laughed at her stupidities. I have to admit, it gave the satisfaction. And at that point in high school, I went on to bully other people with her ‘technique’ of bullying.

No comments: