Shared ramblings/ findings

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Angry Birds -- Ornaments!

Angry Birds -- Ornaments!: "
(Thanks for all the love for my plush Angry Birds!!)

Today's Dollar Store Craft is just KILLING me!! With a small amount of paint and a few scraps of felt, you can transform plain ball ornaments into a FANTASTIC group of Angry Birds!


I got my supplies at the dollar store. I searched out the entire store for some PLASTIC ornaments, knowing full well that these birds and pigs would not be staying on the tree. :o) This year, the only plastic ornaments to be found were strung on a garland. You can get a garland with all red ornaments, but I chose this one so I could get a couple green ornaments -- for pigs, of course!

The dollar store acrylic paints will do the job, with some patience. I admit, though -- the white and yellow require numerous coats in order to get the coverage you need. I finally gave up and bought some 'real' acrylic craft paints in white and orange at the craft store for about $1 apiece. The green and black from the dollar store acrylics worked just fine, though!

Let's start with one small bit of information: I am NOT a craft painter! Feel free to mock my craft painting skillz! :o)


STEP ONE: You will paint your birds in three steps -- first white, then orange, then black. Allow the paint to dry between colors.


You will do the same for the pigs.



(Side note: Look how perfect the top of the ornament would be for a king pig -- just pop it off and turn it upside down!)


STEP TWO: Cut scraps of felt, as shown, to create their hats. Don't stress about this -- just wing it! You don't need a pattern!



STEP THREE: Do a quick running stitch to attach the white trim. (I used red thread so you can see my stitches.) Tie a knot, but don't cut your thread yet.


STEP FOUR: Whipstitch the sides of the hat together. It doesn't have to be pretty -- these stitches will be (mostly) hidden. Knot and clip your thread.



STEP FIVE: Take a running stitch all the way around your small circle. You will then place a small scrap of felt in the center and pull the stitches tight, creating a little ball.
**If you have small pompoms on hand, use them instead!**

STEP SIX: Attach the ball to the end of the hat and knot and clip your thread. Then fold the end of the hat down. Take a few stitches to hold the fold in place, as shown.


STEP SEVEN: Loop an ornament hanger through the top of your ornament.


Thread the hat onto the ornament hook, poking the wire through the top of the hat, and curve the wire. You're ready to hang your cute Angry Bird on your tree!


The garland ornaments don't have a hole in the top, so you just have to remove the top and hook an ornament hanger underneath, twisting it together at the top. Then pop it back on your ornament and place the hat on.

Hee hee! They're so crabby! :o)


Won't they be perfect for a desktop tree at the office?
You can make all your co-workers so jealous!

My pigs and birds stayed on the tree for about .5 seconds after I took photos... and now they are off having adventures with my kids. :o) Good thing I sought out the plastic ornaments!!
"

No comments: